Monday 26 September 2016

Crossing back in the US

After such a lovely couple of weeks with family, I wasn't as excited to return to the US as I thought I would be. I don't see my Canadian family very often and it was sad to say goodbye until the next time. On top of that, my parents were flying home also and I hadn't seen them for a while and wouldn't see them again any time soon.



However, it wasn't long down the 401 bound for Detroit that I realised; not only was I going to see some amazing places that I hadn't seen before, but that I would still be enjoying it in a car that had never been to these places either. As a petrol head (gear head to my American cousins), that in itself is and exciting notion.

Oakville Ford factory, ON


Until next time Canada...

Next stop, border control. I wasn't that nervous as both Canadian and American border protection had told me in the phone there would be no issues getting back across - and my crossing into Canada was such a breeze, I wasn't at all nervous. 


Then I arrived. The guys had no idea at the gate what to do with my plates, which I half expected. However, this problem coupled with trying to justify what I was doing in the US and why I had brought a car with me was enough to make me nervous. Before long, I was pulled for a vehicle inspection and a chat with a border protection official inside. 

He was really nice actually and made me feel far more relaxed. In fact, the entire team were quite funny; making light hearted jokes about being a welcome centre when a coach load of people were directed into the tiny office. One operated irritated and another told him to have a 'Snickers', which made me giggle. 

About 20 minutes inside and I was free to enter the US with a new stamp in my passport - good thru December. 

Phew!



No comments:

Post a Comment