Wednesday 21 September 2016

British Car Day, Oakville ON

http://youtu.be/qHVsISh0Jso

Picture it: I'm standing on my Aunt's driveway talking to her gear-head neighbour about his Ferrari and my Ford and he tells me the biggest British car show in North America is on the weekend and 20 mins up the road. 


My eyes light up as I push for more details; it had been over a week since I'd even really had a chance to think about the car. I had been having a blast visiting other family in Ontario - but without the plucky little Pumba as my parents had picked up a rental... With real-life suspension (it was also quite nice to be chauffeured around).


The neighbour's wife pulls up details of the car show in her cell and proceeds to show me what I was about to miss out on. Excited and determined, I talked Dad I to coming with and drafted an email to the chairman (no less!) of the huge event; requesting permission to enter my scrap car so late into the show. 



Dave Sims got back to me swiftly cordially inviting me to attend provided the car was either manufactured or designed in Britain and all of a sudden it dawned on me... The car was made I. Germany with a Japanese/German engine! I seemed to recall watching a video on YouTube about the introduction of the Puma and was certain that we had designer it in Britain, so I got googling and sure enough; it ha been penned by none other than Ian Callum - world famous car designer from Scotland responsible for Astons, Jags, work on other Fords and TWR.



Sunday morning (after cleaning the car in the wee hours), Dad and I fired up the 1700cc's of 15 year old rust and headed to Oakville - armed with advice from the Toronto Triumph Car Club website. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvuhnIMyHN8

The day could not have been better. The sun was shining, the car was a hit and the millions of dollars worth of British metal were a joy to see altogether.




One chap told me that it has never rained on this day as long as he's been attending. 





It wasn't just a pleasure to be here at this world class show, it felt like a real privelage. I felt welcome and loved talking to people that were excited about what was essentially a scrap car 9 months ago!



There were people there that could read the plate better than I could and I was thrilled to learn that the car was either registered in my home town (spooky!) or that it was registered to a FoMoCo employee. 


It was also most entertaining that I fell into the category of 'post 1960s sedans'! - naturally, I was proudly alongside the Capris.



But even though I had cleaned the car TJ within an inch of its life, I felt like my £60 pocket rocket was almost an imposter among the Jags, Astons, TVRs, Rollers, Bentleys, Lotus' etc!




This is Alan of the Grey Brits car club in Ontario with his 1959 Moggy van. Alan, like many were most knowledgeable and good fun to chat to during the show.


A good time was had by all. A special thanks to Dave Sims (chairman) Ralph (the neighbour) and my Dad for making the day so fantastic for me. 


Thanks for following... Until next time folks!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Chris,I'm really enjoying this blog you're doing a fantastic job(photos,video, etc) can't wait til your next installment... GAZ (Puma owner!)

    ReplyDelete