Wednesday 24 February 2016

Life in Florida with a Ford Puma

Driving around in South Florida is an interesting experience in itself given that many of the drivers learned in different states and have a different interpretation of some of the rules... That aside, driving here is otherwse pretty straight-forward; you don't often need GPS and the conditions are nearly always very good.

Here are some pictures so far :)

Outside the residence at which I am staying

At Walmart, I found a listing for the KA!

Only a Brit would get this.. I had to...
Behind a Floridian car in an British car...

Behind an British car in a Floridian car!
My buddy Noah after his first drive in a RHD

Switching headlights from left to right so-as not to dazzle oncoming traffic. Car looks a bit like a mk4 Fiesta here...
Headlight switch
I got pulled over! 
As soon as I saw the officer switch lanes, I knew he was gonna pull me; so I indicated to pull off the main road. In Florida, the police leave all the flashing lights on even if they are checking something menial - so a lot of attention was drawn.

Copper comes to the correct side of the car and says "well, this is the first time I have had to deal with anything like this before!" He continues; "Can you explain the British plates?"

I advised him that I was here on the same premise as a Canadian or other international and that I have to have my British plates. I offered him my insurance, both driving licenses and my UK registration, which he gladly took. I then advised that the car was authorized by US Customs & Border Protection (who I know the police look up to as I am told they are like, the next level) - he asked if I had these documents and I gave them to him.

After 15 mins in his car (with a backup car having arrived and a big Hispanic officer keeping an eye on me!), he came back with my documents and told me I was good to go. I knew it would be ok, buy you hear stories of cars getting impounded because of incompetent police officers and stuff.

Anyway, it was all good!






Thanks for reading! Stay tuned and subscribe for more images and updates over time.

No comments:

Post a Comment