Wednesday 13 January 2016

Making some alterations to our little transatlantic kitty cat

The Ford Puma is old now and has many age related issues, but nothing that cannot be handled cost effectively.

My car has done 124,000 miles and given the state of the engine that I had to replace, I'm guessing the rest of it has not been looked after it either! The rear wheel arches are still just about attached, the heater control valve has failed, it needed a clutch and a damn good compounding to boot. One of the parcel shelf string clips has failed, the steering wheel has melted, it needs a rear wheel bearing and the brakes are rubbish… Nothing out of the ordinary for a 15 year old car that has not been looked afterd then!

The advantage of a 15-year-old Ford Puma however, is that these are relatively simple repairs compared to something of the same era that was more complicated. My point is that Pumas are probably the last cars there really are simple and can be repaired on a shoe string with basic tools.

I ordered a service kit the other day for £13.50 which included pollen, air, oil and fuel filters. Oil was £12 for 4L (gonna need a little more annoyingly) and a wheel bearing was a tenner delivered. Hardly breaking the bank, which is a consideration as it is likely the entire car will be going in the bin at the end of the year.

On the weekend, I fitted a standard fiesta steering wheel to replace the manly leather Puma one. Now fitted, it looks and feels 10 times better.

Manky, horrible and unloved wheel
New wheel vs old
New fiesta wheel installed

I have also bought brake pads, brake fluid and new parcel shelf straps (£3.50 for both on eBay). 

On the advice of the users of PumaPeople.com, I have opted to replace my heater control valve (which I didn't know was faulty until it was suggested that I take a spare) and… I'm taking a spare! Hove Car Spares will supply me with two genuine Ford units that have been tested as working for 20 quid. Bargain!

I already have a spare coil pack… Need to take a look at the headlight rubbers, which I think are shot and will get to Ford to grab a spare thermostat housing in due course.





No comments:

Post a Comment